Saturday, January 5, 2013

Using Shiva Paintiks


How time flies!  My school break is almost over.  We had a lot of great family time and after my sons left, I was able to transform my son's bedroom back into my studio once again and get some work done.  I machine quilted my ice dyed quilt, as you can see below.


Below is a closeup of some of the quilting.  I used two different colors of thread in the top of the machine, going through the single needle, which was something new for me.  I really liked how the stitching shows up more than when you use only a single thread. 


I wanted to add some interest to the border areas so inserted a couple of free form cut strips on both of the long sides and then did some rubbings using Shiva Paintstiks over one of my carved blocks. (See photo below).  If you haven't used these oil based stiks, they are fairly easy to use and lots of fun.  If you want to learn more about them go to the Cedar Canyon Textiles' website  They have a lot of information about them and some good examples.


No comments:

Post a Comment