Monday, March 23, 2020

More Face Masks

Yesterday I made three more face masks for family members
 just in case they find themselves in a crowd
 and are unable to distance themselves from others.

I used the Sewing Scientist pattern. 
There is a link to the pattern on yesterday's blog post.

Stay healthy - keep creating! It will help to keep you sane!

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Still Sewing

Yesterday I sewed up a fabric mask for myself and will be making one for each of our family members. I've been seeing lots of posts on how to make these and found a great pattern or two.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there about whether health professionals can actually use these hand made masks or not. I've read that they may be effective on top of  a medical mask, or not. Below is a picture of my lovely one.

Here is a link to the pattern I used

Another interesting pattern from Deaconess Hospital
 that was sent to me by my sister-in-law is below.

Hope everyone is being kind and staying healthy out there!

Thursday, March 12, 2020

More Fun Painting Fabric

Having some creative fun making new fabrics using ProChem Silk and Fabric paints.

Above is an Itajime piece folded and ready for dyeing.

After applying the dyes, I put in a plastic bag for a half hour.

Finished piece - still needs ironing, but this lets you see the fold lines

Below are pictures of the whole scarf and some detail shots.
 I love the way the colors migrated into each other creating lovely nuances of patterns.

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Arashi Shibori with a Twist

     Gearing up to teach my "Fabulous Fun with Fabric Paints" class 
on March 14th at the Cambria Center for the Arts.
 Getting all my materials and 'stuff' together. Should be a lot of fun. 
I'm hoping for a sunny day so we can put projects out to dry and do some sun printing too.
     Last night I did a fun, quick experiment with the new ProChem fabric paints I bought for the class.   They are just like Jacquard's Dye-na-Flow paint, but more economical. 
It's Arashi Shibori with a twist, literally. I twisted a piece of fabric and secured it to a jar and then painted on fabrics in a diagonal pattern. 
My colors were inspired by the blue violet and greens in the Iris 
getting ready to bloom in my back yard, as you can see in the bottom picture.