Sunday, January 27, 2013

Arashi Shibori Quilt Design

Well, another week plus has gone by since my last post.  Starting a new semester always takes a lot of work.  Due to the state not funding public education the way it used to and should fund, I have to spend many hours figuring out  how much of a colored pencil or ounces of glaze a child will use on a project, so I can come up with a figure to charge them for materials that they take home on each project.  It's a very long, horrible mathematical word problem, and math is not my strong suit.  After spending too many hours on that yesterday, I finally got to spend some glorious time in my studio.  I squared up one of my arashi shibori pieces that is a painting in itself and cut up another piece to place narrow strips on each side of the larger piece.  I played around with the placement of the lines to create some movement from the center out to the edges. Next, I played around with a variety of fabrics to use as a border or binding, but decided against all of them.  They just looked like unneeded additions to extend an artwork that was finished already.  Here's a picture of my new design on the wall, ready to stitch up.  Let me know what you  think.


No comments:

Post a Comment