Thursday, January 17, 2013

Arashi Shibori Fabrics

Sorry I haven't posted in a week.  Being a middle school art teacher, this is a very busy time of the year.  The semester is over tomorrow,  grades for the 180 students I teach are due and then there's gearing up for the next semester, complete with some new students, parent letters, collecting materials fees, ordering supplies and yada, yada, yada.  On top of that we have been having many discussions on school safety with implementation of new policies that are quite frankly, just depressing.  What kind of crazy society do we live in where we have to practice herding children into a safe place because someone might be outside our door with an assault weapon and 30 clips of ammo.  If President Reagan could get shot with 10 highly trained secret service agents surrounding him,  I don't think arming teachers, many of whom have never fired a weapon, is the answer either.   This whole tragedy and its ensuing discussions and arguments is just depressing.

I'm hoping to find a little time to escape to my studio during this three day weekend to play more with my arashi shibori fabrics that I have on my design wall.  They've been up there for a couple weeks or so.  Years ago, I heard a very interesting talk on creativity and the importance of the incubation period when designing.  So, I like to place fabrics that I'm thinking will work together in a quilt, up on my design wall, so I can see them and play around with them before cutting into them.  This allows me to come up with a variety of ideas for color pathways and arrangements.  So this is what's on my wall now.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment