Thursday, January 10, 2013

Shiva Paintstiks Again

In my last post, I shared how I used some oil based paintstiks to create a design in the border areas of one of the quilts I'm working on.  Here is another example of how these easy to use paintstiks can create color, light and texture in your artwork.  I know I sound like an advertisement for them, but believe I'm not getting any money from anyone for promoting their use.  I just feel they are a wonderful resource to have handy to use when you need them.  This is my quilt entitle Entangled II.  I had used soy wax batik to  protect an orange, low-immersion dyed background and then used thickened black dye to paint the tree branches.  However, in the 24 hour curing process, the soy wax, which is very low temperature, melted, which caused some of the  black dye to wander into the background areas.  So instead of getting the rich contrast between the orange and the black, which I was hoping for, the background looked rather dark. So I tried using the painstiks using a rubbing technique over some unmounted rubber texture stamps to get some light back into the background.  I feel it worked well to provide the contrast I wanted.  What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. I haven't used my paint sticks much but need to get them back in operation. They do help to recreate your picture. Nice to have another medium to use for channeling our challenges.

    ReplyDelete