I needed to create some additional fabric tor the back of a sweatshirt jacket I'm sewing using my hand-dyed fabrics. So I decided to do some ice-dyeing.
Above and below are photos showing the ice with the dye on top. The cardboard keeps the ice cubes on top of the fabric. Without it, they fall off. I've placed the fabric on an old metal rack which is on top of an old dish drying rack, so the fabric does not sit in the dye and melted water.
The fabric in the top half in the container below was scrunched and rubber banded here and there.
The fabric in the lower half was fan folded and clipped with clothespins
Below are the finished fabrics. The top two are created on large vintage linen napkins a friend gave me. They have a beautiful floral pattern woven into the fabric.
This last one was done on mercerized cotton. I used Komasu shibori resist technique to create the patterns. If you want to know more about that technique,
you can look under the labels on my blog for Komasu.