Sunday, June 22, 2014

Finished Helianthus, alias, Sunflower Quilt

Finished the sunflower quilt Thursday at about 3:00, photographed it, put together a CD with photos of that and two other quilts I'm interested in entering into the Dimensions show and hurried off to the post office to get the entry materials postmarked by the June 20th date.  Wasn't sure if by June 20th included June 20th or not, so wanted to get a June 19th postmark on it, just in case.


I often find it difficult coming up with titles for my art.  I decided upon "Helianthus," which is the Latin name for sunflower.  Sunflower just sounded too cutsey, which was not what I was going for in this quilt, or for that matter in any of my art. I always cringe when someone feels they are giving me a compliment about my work, using that word.  It makes me reexamine my work.  I'm sure they don't mean it as an insult, but rather don't know what to say.


Detail of focal point.  Ended up doing more hand stitching than originally planned, but like how it looks and always enjoy that process.  The seed stitch behind the sunflower made the flower pop out more and the background recede.


More details

1 comment: