Monday, July 29, 2013

Starting a New Art Quilt

Last week I started to cut and piece together a new quilt using some hand-dyed and silkscreened fabrics made some time ago.



The focus fabric in the center was low immersion dyed, then thickened dye was screened over dried weeds on part of the fabric.  The lower, swirly part of the fabric, was made with a screen with a dried Elmers glue design. I plan on doing some detailed drawing of the weeds inside the negative areas, either with machine quilting or a fabric markers.  I'm enjoying doing innovative, improvisational piecing with fun commercial and hand-made fabrics.


Here's a picture of  my design wall, where I audition different fabrics prior to cutting and piece them.  I'm using different color combinations than I usually use, but am enjoying the challenge.


  Here are a couple other screened blocks I hope to incorporate into the art quilt somewhere.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment