Sunday, March 17, 2013

New arashi shibori and really low immersion dyed fabrics

Here are a couple of new fabrics.  I really like the cotton velveteen pictured below.  It takes the dye so beautifully in that the colors look very vibrant. For this one, I used fabric that had been previously soaked in soda ash and allowed to dry.  I carefully arranged it, scrunching up here and there in a container and then applied the dye using squeeze bottles. Unlike low immersion dyeing I do not add very much liquid, either in the form of  plain water or soda ash water. following the dyes.  I wasn't sure how potent my dyes would be since, some of them I've had since last September, but you can see they are still very good.  I keep my liquid concentrates in a small, dorm size fridge in our barn.


The fabric below was also dry, pre-soaked in soda ash.  I wrapped it around a four inch piece of PVC pipe and squirted dyes onto it. I think this one is going to need further surface design,
perhaps some discharging here and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment