Sunday, March 24, 2013

Collage Quilt about Mom

Every March brings memories of my incredible mom,  who was a March baby like me.   She taught me many things, sewing being only one of them.  She instilled in me a sense of ethics, honesty, responsibility and generosity.  She was a feisty, independent, smart woman. When she was 19, she set off on a solo trip by train to visit the World's Fair in New York City to see first-hand what inventions and ideas were being developed for the future. The theme of the 1939 World's Fair was "The World of Tomorrow."

In researching the fair to create the quilt about her trip, I learned that there was a prototype of the first dishwasher displayed at the fair.  Did my mom ever have a dishwasher in her lifetime?  No, she would joke that she had five dishwashers when asked by us why we couldn't get one.  Of course, the dishwashers were my siblings and me.

I loved to hear stories from my mom about this trip. A postcard she had sent home to her family from New York became the inspiration for me to create a collage-type quilt about her. Below is a picture of mom and the postcard.



The background for the quilt was painted with acrylic paint
 which was first applied to plastic wrap, then transferred to fabric. 
 Mom's favorite colors were red and green.  Below is a closeup
 from part of the quilt showing a picture of Mom and the story of her trip, 
which I printed on organza.  I actually ended up using the front of a different postcard
 which played better with the other photos and background.


Here is a picture of the whole quilt.




2 comments:

  1. Jeanne, this is a wonderful memorial to your mother. I love the independence she had to go to such an event at her age. The stories our parents have shared will be lost unless we are able to pass along in a way such as yours. Your use of the doily has started my creative juices this morning. I have many, one is HUGH, I may need to use as a background. Have a good day
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila for checking out my blog and your comments. My mom was quite a gal! Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with your doily.

      Delete