Sunday, May 5, 2019

Shibori Dyeing in the Studio with Friends

This last Thursday, my quilting circle with whom I've been meeting for over twenty years,  met in my new studio barn to create shibori shirts.  We had a great time. Here are the shirts.


This lovely rayon shirt above, from Dharma Trading Co. ,was dyed by my friend Isolde. 
 We were very disappointed that it shrunk.  I had only dyed one other rayon shirt prior to this one and it didn't shrink, even though I washed it in hot water and put it into the dryer.


My friend Joyce dyed this asymmetrical cotton shirt from Dharma Trading Co.


Lucille used her two favorite colors to dye this cotton shirt.


Phyllis dyed this cotton shirt.


This is one I dyed for my husband as a sample shirt from the previous tie dye session.



Above is another Rayon Shirt. This one I was more careful with handling, so it wouldn't shrink. 


Above is how the shirt below was wrapped around PVC piping to create the Arashi Design.


Arashi Shirt



3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun time! Yes, I have always heard rayon shrinks lengthwise, but not widthwise. Hope it still will fit her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some research on Rayon and learned a lot! I was able to 'unshrink' the one shirt a bit by soaking it in warm water with a little hair conditioner in it. I then let it dry, hanging it over a dining room chair, and gently stretching it as it dried.
    When wet, rayon is very fragile and can tear easily. Dharma had a lot of info on their site which was interesting. I love how Rayon drapes, but it is not an easy care fabric.

    ReplyDelete