Friday, April 20, 2018

More Soy Wax Batik with Ice Dyeing

Here are are some more pieces I started last weekend and finished yesterday.


 This shirt first came out as in the picture below. I wanted more color, so re-dyed it 
and above is the final version.



Below is a shirt I did for my husband.
 He must like it because he's wearing it as I write.


In this cotton piece, I combined calligraphy with soy wax batik. Just a first try, 
but will definitely come back for more practice.



In the silk scar below I used a foam brush, like in the piece above, 
to create the stem and then dipped a cake server into wax for the leaves.


This is an over-dyed piece. I like it except for a few of the very dark little 'blobs.'  I may try to do a little bleach or decolorant to lighten them. I'm not sure if you can use bleach on silk however. More research needed.


2 comments:

  1. Re: the silk scarf, I have heard from multiple sources that you do not want to bleach silk, so I would try the decolorant.
    I love your calligraphy piece - I have ordered a cotton good luck banner from Dharma Trading, and plan to use lettering and soy wax batik... I'm not wonderful at lettering - did you use letters downloaded from the internet, enlarged?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, Thanks for the advice on using decolorant. I've been doing calligraphy since college so am very comfortable with it. Your idea of printing something out and placing it under your silk should work as well. Be careful of drips. Make sure you have a rag or folded newspaper under your tool as you leave the wax pot. Go!od luck

      Delete