Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunflower Photo Quilt Revision

A couple weeks ago I wrote about wanting to redesign a quilt that had been on my design wall for quite some time. I posted a picture of  a photo taken of one of my gigantic sunflowers,  which I printed on cotton fabric and organza and pinned over the section of the quilt I didn't care for anymore. This week I made the change permanent by ripping out some seams and freed the balance of the quilt, which I still liked. I also flipped around the organza photo piece so it was the mirror image of the photo, which gave it some nice transparency layers as you can see in the closeup below.  The blue lines you see on the outer edges of the sunflowers are where I'm planning on machine quilting.


Next I added new strips to both sides of the layered photo and pieced it all back together again.   I also did some machine quilting in the center of the flower.  


Below is the original photo taken last September of my 7 foot tall sunflower, with a diameter as large as a dinner plate.  





No comments:

Post a Comment