Monday, July 30, 2018

Over and Over-Dyed Soy Wax Batik Silk Scarf

I was putting together items for our upcoming Cutting Edge Show, which we are setting up tomorrow at Studios on the Park, Studiosonthepark.org  when I  noticed an area on one of my scarves that was just too dark and blotchy.  So I tried using discharge paste to lighten it and that didn't work out well at all.  It made it worse. So then I over-dyed it, first securing a lot of the circular designs with rubber bands so they would be protected and still show up.  I then used some cerulean and fuchsia on it in select spots, wrapped it in plastic and let it cure 24 hours.  It looks a lot better now, not so blotchy and the yellow just glows beautifully.










3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I have not had much luck overdyeing on silk... seems like the first batch takes up all the fibers and doesn't leave room for more dyes to bond. May I ask what blend of silk your scarf is? I usually use habotai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, Yes, I was surprised at how well the scarf absorbed more dye. I used a 12mm Crepe de Chine from Dharma, #CDC11, 11 x 60 @$6.29.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just browsing along and came upon your blog. just wanted to say good blog and this article really helped me.

    Click here : TADANO GR500XL 340 Cranes For Sale

    ReplyDelete