Sunday, July 2, 2017

Messy Fun with Acrylic Paint-Dirty Pour Technique

I've been wanting to try this technique for awhile and got to do it yesterday.  It is called a 'Dirty Pour.'  If you google that term or 'fluid acrylic pouring',  you will see lots of information on it.  You can end up spending oodles of time looking at tons of youtube videos on the technique. Basically it is using slightly diluted acrylic paint into which you mix a silicone gel,
 stir it up and carefully dump it onto a canvas. 

Here are pictures from yesterday's experiment.



All the paints are poured into one cup as you see below. I used white for the bottom and top layers.


Below is the canvas after carefully dumping the cup of paint onto it.


Next I  tipped the canvas from different angles to spread the paint to edges.


Below are a couple of closeups.



Below is the entire canvas.


I wanted to get a mono print of it onto fabric, so I placed some silk on it and lifted up a layer which totally changed everything.  So then I fussed around with dribbling bits of leftover paint and angling the canvas this way and that and ended up with this.


Lots of fun but very messy!



3 comments:

  1. I have seen this technique in a video... fascinating! Then I priced the gel.... yikes! But I love your results, both before and after the monoprint was pulled! And since I make messes all the time with dye, I can't imagine it would be too much worse, but probably best to try in the garage if I ever decide to do it. Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was messy but fun. The recipe I used: http://imgur.com/gallery/5BlX1 called for using a silicone gel. Other instructions I've seen call for a silicone spray or oil, like those used to lubricate a treadmill belt and one called Blast. So it's not the acrylic polymer gels that are so expensive. I used a feminine personal lubricant that comes in a tube and for the whole project used only about 3 teaspoons or so. I'm going to try to see about getting it on fabric, maybe a thicker canvas type one. Would be great for a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also seen a video on this and I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete