Sunday, July 12, 2015

Newest Ice-Dyed Quilt

This quilt was finished the day before putting it in my show at the library,so I didn't get a chance to blog about it. This quilt was created  from two beautiful ice-dyed pieces of fabric which I cut apart and put back together. Below are the fabrics with which I started.

  
I cut both of them apart into the same shapes, then shuffled and sewed them together carefully.



 I cut the quilt apart again, fusing it to black fabric.  


Below is a closeup of some of the hand embroidery that is throughout the quilt.


I really enjoy the process of hand embroidery.  My earliest experience with embroidery was learning how to do it at about the age of 11, as taught by my mom,  on pre-stamped towels and dresser cloths.  Remember those blue stamped fabrics with days of the week, or teacups, girls with watering cans, etc?  All the women in our family (4) would work on these in the car on our long family camping trips from Wisconsin to New York, Washington, California, etc. Doing it again brings back lovely memories.  I find handwork to be a very meditative process.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome fabrics and great quilt! Now where did you find ice in your neck of the woods??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the embroidery. I learned the same way you did! Pre stamped pillowcases and dresser scarves or iron on transfer designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic fabrics and I love the addition of the black and the hand embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful piece! And of course I remember doing those projects, along with several others.

    ReplyDelete