Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Calligraphy Conference

Just returned from attending a Calligraphy conference at Sonoma State University. It was the annual Passionate Pen Conference,  https://www.thepassionatepen.org It was the first time I attended one and could only afford to be there for two days but it was wonderful! I have always loved calligraphy and letter forms, and enjoy teaching my students a Calligraphy unit each year. I hadn't received any instruction in calligraphy since my college days, which were a long time ago. There have been a lot of  changes and new trends in calligraphy since then. Artists are doing a lot more painting and interesting backgrounds with the calligraphy. It was very enjoyable to create using different media.

I took a one day workshop from Nancy Culmone, who does beautiful calligraphy in color and more.  She creates one of a kind, exquisite books with painted backgrounds and calligraphy.  She was teaching a one day class, followed by a four day class.  Wish I could have stayed for the four day class as well. She is an experienced, talented, generous teaching artist.  She taught us how to transition from one color gouache paint to another using brushes to back load the color onto the pen nib.  It takes a lot of patience and practice and is very meditative once you start doing it.


Above are a couple of her finished pieces.


This is one of her practice pieces that we were trying to emulate. I don't have anything to show that I did in the class, because with it only being a day, it was all practice. Hoping to finish something presentable to show here in the upcoming weeks.

Now, back to getting all my supplies and samples ready for teaching a fun soy wax batik class to members of my guild this Saturday.  



2 comments:

  1. I love calligraphy... always admired it, and even got a kit once to try and learn it. Isn't it wonderful to be able to learn from someone so accomplished and talented? And do take pix of your batik class! I keep wanting to put a class together here... would need at least one other wax pot, but think it would be lots of fun to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finished pieces are gorgeous. I did a calligraphy class many years ago, just wish there was something similar available in this area.

    ReplyDelete