Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Round Two: Discharging Design onto Fabric

I unwrapped the arashi shibori fabric yesterday and was surprised that it was all blue.  I believe I used too much dye.  One thing this did prove was that procion dyes can last over a year, as long as they are kept refrigerated and no soda ash has been added to it.  I had this dye in a small refrigerator in the barn for over a year and a half.

So I decided to wash it out thoroughly and try using discharge paste to create some white patterns.  I silk-screened a design onto the cerulean blue fabric.

Below is the discharged piece drying on the line yesterday evening.


Here is a closeup of the pattern.


Today I steam ironed the fabric, like you are suppose to do, and it turned a very light blue  where the discharge paste had been applied.  I had hope for it to be more white, but know you don't always get all the way back to white.  Next, I rinsed it in soapy water, and hung it to dry.  I was very disappointed to see that as it dried ALL the pattern disappeared.  I don't know why that happened.  I have used the paste before with great results.  I have emailed Jacquard Products to ask them 
what they think went wrong. 

Meanwhile, I am gearing up for Round Three to create pattern on this piece.  I am going to try blockprinting or silkscreening white paint  on it in some kind of wave design.  Wish me luck! 



No comments:

Post a Comment