Saturday, November 24, 2012

Using itajime fabric in quilts

I love creating new fabric.  In fact, I have overflowing piles of hand-dyes, discharged, low-immersion, soy wax batik, ice-dyed fabrics, you name it.  I hate to cut into some of them. I feel that some are complete just the way they are, but it is hard to find venues who will display these for sale just as they are.  So the challenge becomes how to make them into more 'finished' quilts suitable for hanging.  Here is the first quilt I made using some of my shibori fabrics.

Entangled 1 - 32 1/2" x 29 1/2"
 The background of this quilt is made up of a variety of shibori and low immersion hand-dyes that have been sewn together, then cut into sections and shuffled around, sewn together again, cut and reshuffled once more.  The trees are cut from one piece of fabric using an exacto knife in some places. 

I recently finished the quilt below using both arashi and itajime fabrics and procion dyes

Torrential Dreams, Finally Morning and Fried Eggs 32" x 24"

No comments:

Post a Comment