Friday, August 30, 2019

Honeycomb Shibori Technique Revisited

A couple days ago, I did some experimenting with variables
 in regards to the Honeycomb shibori technique. 
 I used three different cords with which to wrap the fabric. I also wrapped each one in three different ways. The one furthest on the left was folded in half and wrapped diagonally around a half inch nylon diameter cord, the middle one was wrapped around a 1/4 inch diameter cord and the one on the right was wrapped leaving about three inches on the outside. It was done on a pastel fabric,
using  a 1/2 inch jute diameter cord.



So yesterday was the big unveiling. I really love unwrapping 'batched' fabrics
 and seeing how the dyes and techniques turned out. It's almost like Christmas!

Below is the one furthest to the left in photo above.  I like how this one turned. out.
 I used Robin's Egg, Cerulean, Dragonfruit and Plum.


This is the middle one from the top photo. I'm pleased with this one too.
  I used Turquoise, Cobalt and Raven Black.


This is the one on the right in the top photo, done on a commercial pastel fabric, 
with some fabric hanging outside of the loop. It was
too pale for me. I had used Chartreuse and Emerald Green on it. I decided to re-dye it.


 So I re-tied it using the honeycomb method again and 
added some cerulean to it.  The picture below shows the improved one.


I had lots of fun experimenting with this technique, and it should be helpful
 in predicting outcomes in the future. 






2 comments:

  1. These are all great, Jeanne! I have always loved the pattern I got when using the nylon rope. Do you follow Beth Berman on Sew Sew Art? She also uses a dryer vent hose, which works well on shirts. Always so many things to try! BTW, overdyeing works wonders and yours is a great example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow--your fabrics are beautiful! I will have to give this technique a try on my next dye day.

    ReplyDelete