Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Scrappy Crocheted Handbag

I've been receiving compliments on my small, scrappy handbag, so I thought I'd blog about it. I hate carrying a heavy bag with all my important 'stuff.' It hurts my shoulder and I'm sure it is not good for my back. Sometimes I just want a the bare essentials, some cash, a credit card, AAA card, license, lip gloss, keys, sunglasses, and cell phone. So, I made this little handbag out of leftover fabrics.



The photo above shows the lining I used inside.



Here's a closeup of the crocheting.


Below is a new one I'm working on which shows my balls of scraps. I tear the fabric into strips 3/4 inch to an inch wide and do it in double crochet with a size 9 crochet hook. 
 I like the idea of using up my fabric rather than buying something new.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely little bag! I carry even less than you do, and sometimes just my tiny wallet. I gave up on bigger bags long ago, for the very reasons you stated! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Do you stitch your strips together or just add them as needed? I have a friend who used this method to do a much larger bag, but she's at least 5' 10", so a tiny one wouldn't work for her. She even added a longer strap so it would rest at the right height for her. I'm afraid if I wanted to make one for me it would have to be larger... I carry everything with me, including a bottle of water, tylenol, allergy meds, comb, small mirror... you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Judy. To answer your question about joining strips, when I'm tearing the fabric from leftover yardage, I snip at one end and tear until I'm about 1/2 inch from the opposite end, and then I make a snip 1/2 inch away from the prior strip and tear again. I sew ends together when switching to a new piece of fabric or sometimes just do a square knot to join them, pulling very tightly.

    ReplyDelete