Monday, September 25, 2017

Hand Quilting Itajime Piece

This morning I finally got a date for my surgery after the insurance folks tried every delay in the book. It's scheduled for the third week of October.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to finish up a piece to enter in an upcoming show. Sometimes I have so many ideas on how I can do that and sometimes not a one. Something I find helpful to do is to lay a clear transparency over the piece and use water soluble markers to plan a design. Then if I don't like it, I can erase and try another one. Below is a picture showing this.


To figure out what thread would be best, I audition a variety of them on top of the quilt, unspooling a couple yards of each. I decided on Sulky variegated long staple cotton 12 weight threads. 



2 comments:

  1. Glad you finally have a surgery date! I hope it goes well. I love your ideas on how to plan your quilting, especially the transparency and marker... clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy. Yes, I am looking forward to being healed.

    ReplyDelete