Sunday, August 9, 2015

Beautiful Skies and Soy Wax Batik with Textile Paint

This last week's weather brought some incredibly beautiful skies that I want to share with you. It was like the sky was on fire.




Here are two of my soy wax batik samples from last week's class.


Interesting transparency of colors on this.  I painted all of it in yellows and oranges, 
added wax patterns, then painted it in blues and greens. 


I was using this to demonstrate while teaching, so my concentration could have been better. I find it difficult to talk and create at the same time and do both well.  Language is a left brain function, whereas painting is right brain. There has been a lot of research on this issue which I find to be true and fascinating.  I'm always reminding my middle school students to turn down the left brain and turn  up the right brain when they are creating.  They respond that they can 'multi-task.'  However, the latest research on multi-tasking shows neither task is done as well.  I'm sure there are exceptions regarding this as I find that I can cook and talk on the phone at the same time pretty well, as long as it's not a new,  complicated recipe.  But when it comes to designing and creating, I don't want distractions.
  How do you feel about that?  Let me know.





2 comments:

  1. Amazing skies and I do like the batiks. I cannot multi task well when being creative either although I can when I am doing other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I actually have a setup in my studio where I can listen to music or watch/listen to a TV or video, but most days I prefer the silence, or have the windows open to hear the birds singing. Love your batiks... the colors glow nicely!

    ReplyDelete