Monday, April 24, 2017

Ice Dyeing

Here are my Easter eggs made early on Easter morning, tie dyed of course.


This is an ice dyed cotton shirt I made this last weekend.


This is another one. I really like how its rock-like colors and textures.

Here is the whole shirt


On the left side is the striped golden fabric I started with
 and on the right side is it after ice dyeing.


Below is a Kona Gold fabric which I ice-dyed. It came out darker than I wanted. I might do some bleaching on this one to bring back the gold color in places, maybe through stenciling or something.



3 comments:

  1. They are literally stunning and artistic... I've tried doing it before but it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice dyeing was frustrating for me until I took a class from Lynda Heines last year (lyndaheines.com). I learned a lot about color separation, and how to weigh & measure, which helped me to overcome my tendency to use too much dye. I love yours, and really want to know how you tie an egg to dye it (just kidding!) they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a series of videos on Youtube by Crispi, which are excellent with techniques for getting lights and darks and more highly contrasting designs. I also find the best dyes for doing ice-dyes, are the ones that contain more than one hue. You can see which dyes will work best by tapping a bit of the dye powder onto a wet white surface and see what colors they break into. You will get the same ones on your shirt.

    ReplyDelete