Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Getting Into Indigo

Below are photos of some more indigo pieces I made the other week.

This is a photo showing the fabrics tied, folded, clamped with rubber bands, etc. 
ready for the indigo vat.

Folded and clamped.

I used the honeycomb technique on this one twice, changing the direction of wrapping the fabric around the rope to get it darker on all four edges.

Folded and clamped with chopsticks.

Folded and clamped.

Arashi Technique on linen. The linen takes the dye beautifully.

This was a silk scarf that I overdid in the Indigo vat.

Folded and clamped with popsicle sticks to create the chevron pattern.

This was a piece on which I used potato dextrin and thickened orange dye and then who knows what else. I wanted to cover up mostly everything but the orange circles.

This was also an over-dyed piece. I used the honeycomb technique on the fabric originally
 and it just needed more. Still needs some more defining, but I have a couple of ideas for it.

Folded and clamped with wooden squares.

Folded, clamped with large metal washers.

Friday, July 5, 2019

Indigo Shibori Shirt Dyeing

I finally opened my Jacquard Indigo kit that I purchased from Dharma Trading company in December of 2016. I bought it to give me some motivation as I laid in bed recovering from my spinal fusion surgery that I had a few months earlier. Well, the kit sat there until the last Saturday this June.

Indigo dyeing seems to be very popular and I've wanted to check it out for awhile now. It was lots of fun and very different from the procion dyeing that I've been doing over 20 years.  The preparation of the fabrics using itajime or arashi techniques are the same however. Here are some pictures of some of the pieces made. I'll add more next week when I have more time.

As you can see below, I used a variety of itajime (folding, binding, clamping, etc.) techniques
 as well as the arashi (tied around the PVC pipe.)
The pieces below are oxidizing. They have been dipped from one to three times each. The more times you dip the fabric, the darker the dye will be.
(Notice, Fang, our black cat on the table in the back who likes to hang out in the studio.)

Above and below are two vintage linen napkins I dyed using the arashi technique
 and then cut and made them into this shirt. I'm really pleased with it. 
 The linen took the indigo dyes just beautifully. Thank you to my good friend Marilyn who gave me her mother's old linen napkins and tablecloths.

The lovely shirt below is a J. Jill, 100% Linen shirt, size Large, that I dyed in the indigo last week.
It is for sale if anyone is interested. Just email me or leave a comment.
It was gifted to me some time ago and no longer fits me.

Below is a video that show the indigo oxidizing.  After you finish doing all your dipping into the indigo, you open up the fabric to allow it to oxidize. 
That is when the fabric turns from  yellow-green to the dark blue.

Sunday, June 30, 2019

New Shibori Shirt

I made a new Shibori shirt last week using itajime techniques. 
I accordion folded the shirt and secured the folds with rubber bands on the lower half. 
 On the upper half did a lot of scrunching and secured those with rubber bands also
 as you can see in the picture below.

Next I applied the dyes and let it batch overnight.

Here's my new shirt. 

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Itajime Revisited

Having the time of my life playing around with Itajime, which is the Japanese technique
 for creating patterns on fabric through folding, clamping, and /or binding it followed by dyeing.

This piece was previously dyed. I accordion folded it,

 then folded it another way tying rubber bands to secure the folds.

Then squeezed darker colored dyes into it.

Below is another piece accordion folded and secured, ready for dyeing.

Below is a picture of the three pieces with the dye applied and in the batching stage.

 And here are the other two finished pieces.

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Shibori in the Studio with Friends

Yesterday, I had my Cutting Edge Fiber Arts over to my barn studio for our monthly meeting.
 After we were done with the business portion of the meeting we got to play with shibori techniques. I demonstrated Itajime, Arashi, and stitched shibori. 
 Sara, one of the other members demonstrated using rope to create a honeycomb pattern. 
Everyone left with at least one piece of shibori dyed fabric
 which needed to be batched and rinsed out at home.
 I can't wait to see how everyone's turned out.

Below is my Stitched Resist piece. On the top warm colored section,  I used Hishaki-nui stitching, where you fold the fabric to create symmetrical stitched shapes, in my case circles.
 I did three rows of them.
Below, in the blue area is Ori-nui, which is stitching through two layers that are folded.
The bottom area is  created through tying thread tightly around beads. 
I think I need to add something more in that section.

Below is my Honeycomb Patterned piece. Thanks for showing us this technique Sara.

Monday, June 10, 2019

More Wearables Dyeing Fun

This was a great cotton top which had a layer of lace on top, 
 which I bought at a thrift store in San Luis Obispo. 
I just scrunched it up into lots of mountains and valleys, and squirted dyes into it. 

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Arashi T Shirt Over-Dyeing

I had some friends over  to dye shirts in the  Studio-Barn yesterday. As part of demonstrating the washing out portion of working with procion dyes,  I like to have something
 that is dyed, cured (or batched) and  ready to be rinsed and washed.
 I over-dyed a cotton shirt from Dharma Trading Company that I originally dyed in 2015.  

Below is the shirt prior to over-dyeing.  I am very pleased with how it turned out.
 I think you get some really interesting layers of patterns, values and colors when you over-dye.