Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Low Immersion and Ice-dyed Shirts and Scarves

I recently bought the Ann Johnston  "Design by Accident" DVD, which is very good. I've had the book by the same title forever and didn't think I needed the DVD, but am very glad I bought it. There is so much more in the DVDs about her techniques.


The shirt above and below are ice dyed.  There are some great You Tube videos by a guy named Crispy who has some good ideas for getting rich color and  symmetrical designs on shirts. On the one above, I used Lemon Yellow, Emerald Green, Chinese Red, Grape, and Cerulean blue.  Ater most of the dye melted, I flipped it over and added the following dyes, on top of ice to the flip side: Lemon Yellow, Emerald Green, Turquoise, Light Red, Orchid and Plum. (These are all Dharma Dyes)


On this shirt for side one, I used Chinese Red, Black, Turquoise, and Yellow. One the flip side, Yellow, Cayman Isle, Light Red, and Black.


On this scarf I used Lemon Yellow, Blue Green, Turquoise, Plum, Emerald and Dark Green. It was a very thin silk and a lot of the first dyes didn't stick. So I over-dyed it with Blue, Blue Green, Yellow and Light Red.


On this one I stretched it out on plastic and used pretty strong liquid procion dyes, 
sometimes rubbing in with my finger or a spoon. 





2 comments:

  1. Thank you Connie. That means a lot coming from you. Hope you are doing well. I've been having fun doing quite a bit of experimenting with dyeing. It feels good after not being able to do it for almost a year, due to physical restraints caused by my back and ensuing surgery.

    ReplyDelete