Sunday, August 16, 2015

Attaching an Art Quilt to a Stretched Canas

Well, I'm back to school already.  Thursday and Friday were spent in tech workshops learning all about Google docs, slides, building websites, etc as our school goes Google.  I was way in over my head in most of the classes.  There was so much information and the teachers had to move very quickly, so needless to say, many of us didn't get it all. I don't even use a laptop, so just learning to navigate without a mouse was a learning experience for me.  I guess I'm a dinosaur when it comes to tech. It's a good reminder to me about checking for comprehension in my students as I start a new year.

Our Cutting Edge Fiber Art Group is having a show in December at the San Luis Obispo Art Museum.  All the quilts for this show need to be 20" x  24" and mounted to a stretched canvas.  The theme for the show is "Off Kilter."  I have mixed feelings about working towards a theme or a challenge.  I mostly like to work on whatever technique or idea is inspiring  me at the moment.  But then again, a challenge can push you in a direction you weren't planning on exploring, which can be a learning experience.

Below is a picture of my entry.  I had a great time painting the canvas in multiple layers of surface design, using bubble wrap, stamps, paint, large brushes, etc. I wanted the canvas to extend the colors and patterns in the quilt.  The canvas shows a half inch above and one the sides of the quilt, with and inch of so below.  I used 8 pieces of velcro to attach the quilt to the canvas.  If you are wondering how it fits the "Off Kilter" theme, it is because there are 2 photos of the sunflower, one printed on transparent organza which has been flipped and stitched to the one printed on cotton, increasing the petals, leaves, shadows,  and hopefully interest.





1 comment:

  1. Love this piece! Lots of good energy! I laughed at the description of learning all the tecchie things... I wrote computer programs for 20 years, and still prefer my computer over smart phone technology, but find I just don't care about being on the cutting edge of all the latest gadgets and apps... having too much fun creating! Still, there is a lot that an be useful especially in the field of teaching. Maybe you and some of the others could form a study group to help each other learn the nuts & bolts!

    ReplyDelete