Sunday, May 10, 2015

Soy Wax Batik with Dye-na-Flow Paints

Yesterday I batiked some silk and cotton using Dye-na-Flow paints.


I first waxed the large circle grids to preserve some of the white, then painted on the yellow and orange.


Then I used a tool that was rectangular with diamond openings
 to preserve some of the yellow and orange areas.  After the wax dried, I painted black over it.


After the black dried, I placed it in the freezer (read that you get more cracking this way) and then twisted it to get the wax go fall off.  I did too much twisting, too much wax came out, but I didn't know it at the time.  I then applied black over the whole piece and let it dry.  Closeup is below. I like it but wish it didn't have quite so much black.



This is a silk scarf.  Again I preserved some white areas, then painted yellows and oranges on it. Next I waxed over some of the yellow and orange areas, then applied blue paint.  Really like this one.





2 comments:

  1. Jeanne, I love your examples using dye na flow! I have only used it on silk, and got mixed results. But using it with soy wax on cotton is definitely something I will have to try! BTW, I think crackling is just something that takes a little experimenting to find a happy medium. Maybe if you had crackled before the first black layer, you would have liked the results better? Another thought I had was I wonder if using a discharge agent with stamps would lighten it up a little. At any rate, you are making some beautiful fabric using these techniques! Thanks for sharing them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Judy. As it turns out, it did become lighter after washing it out. I always wait 3 to 4 days before washing out painted fabric so it can air cure more, even though it's been ironed. I'm not sure discharging works over painted fabric. I've never tried it. Have you? Looking forward to more experimenting. 20 more days of teaching those middle schoolers and more time for art for me. Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete