Sunday, May 24, 2015

Fiber Coiled Baskets, Gargoyles and More

This was Open House week at the middle school where I teach, so all my time and energy went into preparing for that.  The rest of the week I was pretty much recovering.

My students have done some amazing work this year.  Here's some pics.

 These are the ceramic gargoyles students made as part of a unit on Gothic Architecture.  They still need to be painted black and then a coat of gray sand paint will be added to 'age' them.

 Students could create chimeras, gargoyles, or other mythic
 creatures as seen on medieval cathedrals.






Fiber coiled baskets made by the 8th graders as part of a unit on Native American arts.



Ceramic bowls in the style of Maria Martinez created by 6th graders. Students made simple pinch pots, added a coil to the top to learn how to score and slip clay, then carved their Native American designs into the pots.  Pots were bisque fired, then students glazed them.


Self Portraits, using a grid method, by 7th Graders


 Block Prints by 7th Graders


Metal tooled Medieval Letters by 7th Graders.

Fourteen and a half more days of school!!!




1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful, Jeanne! I missed a lot of that in school... I was in glee club, not art classes for most of my electives. Wish I could have done both! Love the fiber baskets... I'm working on one now myself, although not nearly as creative as these. Lucky students who got to do such great projects!

    ReplyDelete