Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pacific International Quilt Festival 2014

Yesterday I made my annual pilgrimage to Santa Clara for the Pacific International Quilt Show with a couple of good friends.  It was fabulous as always.  Here are a few of my favorite quilts.  Hope you enjoy them too.



Flowers of the Arab Spring by Susan Shie - Below is a detail.  This was a very moving quilt about the sad state of women in the Middle East who dare to speak their minds and demand rights.


Blockade by Martina Hilgert Vervoot



This piece had wonderful texture and lines.  I need to experiment more with 
 with those insertions of skinny lines. I took a great workshop from Rosalie Dace, as did this artist, where I first learned how to create those. 
Below are detail photos.


I like how the quilting stitch goes from a narrow line to the oval satin stitch.


End of the Spin by Melissa Sobotka.  
This quilt shows the ends of spools of yarn used for weaving the weft.


The closeup shows the great job Melissa did with raw edge fusing of the fabrics. 
 It won an award for best use of color.


My friend Isolde entered a quilt into PIQF for the first time, a beautiful one of Ulm Cathedral




No comments:

Post a Comment