Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hand Embroidery

I've been embroidering since I was about 10 years old.  I enjoyed it then and still do.  Back then I was embroidering dresser cloths and towels which had stamped designs.  Now I like the  fabric to dictate to me what needs to be outlined, emphasized or filled in with thread texture.

Over on the "And then we started it on fire blog,"  http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.com/ a variety of artists have  been sharing some great info and pictures of their wonderful hand stitching throughout the month  of March. Be sure to click on my link to the right to check it out.

Here's a picture of a piece I've been working on for some time, which I keep in my craft bag, so I can quickly grab it when I know I may be sitting somewhere.


This piece was made through using Setacolor transparent paints with tissue paper overlays
 and then placed in the sun to dry.  The colored tissue paper was then removed, 
leaving an imprint of the color on top of the paint. 

 Above and below are some closeup areas of some of the stitching thus far. 



2 comments:

  1. I love this, Jeanne! I need to pull out some fabric and start hand stitching... it's been too long! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne - This is wonderful, I love the freedom of your stitches.

    ReplyDelete