Saturday, August 20, 2016

Painted Fabrics from Judy Coates Perez Class

Here are some of my creations from the class I took from Judy Coates Perez last weekend.  See prior post for more information on that wonderful class.


Arashi Shibori using fabric paint.


This one is far from done, but shows a few techniques we played with  including stamping on fabric, laminating abaca fabric with copyright free images printed on them, etc. 


On this one, we applied salt while the paint was still quite wet. One of he cool things about painting fabric, vs. dyeing is that you get two values, one lighter, one darker.




Painted and scrunched and allowed to dry.


Accordion folded shibori


More painted and scrunched fabric.


For this one we put items underneath it and allowed it to dry. 
 Again, you can see how one side is much more vibrant the other.


2 comments:

  1. Fun! I took a class that taught several of those techniques several years back... still have some of the fabrics. Were you using fabric paints, or regular craft paints? I think I have seen that you can use dye-na-flow which doesn't leave the fabric so stiff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, We used Acrylic inks in her class. We used Dale-Rowney and Liquitex brands and Golden High Flow Acrylics. The inks are highly pigmented and don't change the hand of the fabric a like regular acrylic paints do. On the very top shibori piece in my post I did use Dye-na-flow. I've also used the transparent fabric paint from ProChem, which has a soft hand to it. Those are a little thicker, so I dilute them just a smidge to make them easier to brush on.

    ReplyDelete