Monday, September 14, 2015

More Shibori

I'm trying to find a little time each week for surface design on fabric.  It helps me keep a better balance in my life, since returning to work.  Yesterday I did two pieces, both very simple. One was on a small piece of fabric, about 18 x 18 inches, using Te-kumo shibori technique.  The English translation is "hand-bound spiderweb."  I used the directions in the Shibori Book by Wada, Rice and Barton as mentioned in last week's post. There's an endless quantity of techniques to learn in that book. Instead of binding with string, I used rubber bands.  I inserted a chopstick into the fabric and wrapped rubber bands tightly a round the first three or inches, then removed the chopstick.  I repeated it  throughout the fabric.  Next I soaked it in the soda ash, then dyed it using yellow, orange, red, and black.





The other piece I did was a spiral wrapped shirt using red on one side with a little bit of black and black on the other side with a little bit of red.





2 comments:

  1. Love these! I have used bamboo skewers to start the 'spiderwebs', and had pretty good luck tying with sinew. Haven't done any in awhile... but I love the book, it is a really great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great book. It's one I come back to often to get my creative juices flowing again.

    Thanks for looking.

    ReplyDelete