Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers Day

Happy Mothers Day to all my readers.  I am blessed to be the mother of two wonderful boys, now men,  and to have had a wonderful mother in my life.  My mom taught me many things, sewing just being one of them.  She taught our whole girl scout troop to sew.  Our first project was to make granny gowns and matching caps.  Talk about stylin!  She also taught me to embroider when I was about 10 years old, something I still enjoy today.  She was very thrifty, having grown up during the depression and was a firm believer in saving and recycling everything.  It would really crack me up when she and my dad would arrive to visit us and she would give me the roll and butter from her meal on the plane that she didn't eat.  She couldn't even throw that away.  Now they don't even give you meals unless you pay an arm and a leg for it.  One of her favorite adages, that I still hear in my mind is "Anything worth doing, is worth doing well."

So today, since my studio is in transition due to my son moving back and reclaiming his old bedroom, my former studio, I am playing with images of mom to make into thermofaxes for silkscreens.


This is picture of mom before she was married.


Here the same photo after making adjustments to it in photoshop.  I'll use this one to make a photocopy and then run it through a thermofax machine to create a silkscreen.





No comments:

Post a Comment