Sunday, February 3, 2013

Designing a Quilt with Parfait Dyed Fabrics

Today, I was working with some fabrics I made a couple of years ago by using the parfait dyeing method.  I folded, scrunched and squished three- half yard pieces of fabric into a gallon size pitcher.  In between each fabric, I poured some highly concentrated liquid procion dyes and topped it all off with some soda ash.  The process is similar to what is described in Ann Johnston's great book, Color by Accident, which has some great recipes for creating beautiful low-water immersion dyed fabrics.   These fabrics though, have more folds due to how tightly they fit into the pitcher, which in turn creates some wonderful  stained-glass like designs, at least that's what I got in this batch.  Here's a couple photos of the fabrics and closeups.


Below is my sketch idea for using these fabrics.  I like taking photos of my fabrics and playing around with cutting them up, rather than cutting up the fabric. 


2 comments:

  1. Now, that's a very clever idea! I have lots of hand dyed fabric laying around, with no clear idea of how to use it! Think I'll give your method a try... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy, Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete